English is not supposed to be boring, it’s supposed for be something you always want to learn!
So that’s why today, I will share with you a game that helps you improve your English in a different and fun way.
What is it called?
Simply, “The 5-Letter Game.”
Goals of this post
- You will know a new game you can play with friends to make English fun and more interesting
- You can also play with your teacher in English class
- This game is good for variety or doing something different in your English learning routine
What is The 5-Letter Game?
The 5-Letter Game is simply a game where one player (let’s call her the “chooser”) chooses a five-letter word in English. The other player(s) of the game (let’s call them the “guessers”) try to figure out the chooser’s five letter word, by saying words in English that are five letters. That might sound weird, but don’t worry. I will show you how to play step-by-step with pictures now.
Shall we begin?
How to Play The 5-Letter Game
You need at least two players to play, but it is more fun with more players.
For the sake of this example, let’s use three players: Me (Ryan), You, and Jill.
I will be the chooser first. Being the chooser means I will pick a five letter word, and you and Jill have to try to guess it by saying five letter words. You and Jill are the guessers.
Note: For this example, my word is “house“. In the real game, you would not know my word; you have to guess my word.
The chooser (me, in this case) starts by drawing five blank boxes on a piece of paper, or on the classroom board.
It’s your turn first! You have to try to guess my word. You say “whale.”
That’s a good guess, but it’s not correct.
Remember, my word is “house”, but in the real game, you do not know my word.
I spell “whale” in the boxes now.
The Next Step:
Now, I give you clues to my word.
There are actually two versions of the 5-Letter Game.
Let’s call them the “easy version” and the “advanced version“.Which level you play depends on your English level, or how much you want to challenge yourself or your class.
In my word “house” is there a w? No.
Is there an h? Yes.
Is the an “a“? No.
Is there an “l“? No.
Is there an “e“? Yes.
Remember, you do not know my word at this point.
In the easy version, I give you the order of the letters of my word.
What I mean is – my word is “house”. “House” begins with a “h” and ends with an “e”.
All you would know at this point now is that my word begins with an “h” and ends with the letter “e”.
To communicate this, I draw an “x” through the letters that are not in my word. (“w”,”a”,”l”) and draw a circle around “h” and a square around “e”. The letters “h” and “e” are in my word.
I also write the “h” and “e” in the correct order above the boxes to show you where the letters you guessed belong in my word.
Understand so far?
The easy version is a little different than the advanced version.
In the advanced version, I would only tell you where the “e” goes.
This is because the “e” in whale and the “e” in house are in the same spot. They are the final letter in each word.
The “h” in whale is the second letter, while the “h” in house is the first letter.
I communicate this by drawing a circle around the “h”. This means “h” is in my word, but it’s not in the correct spot.
I draw a square around the “e” and also write “e” in the proper spot, because it already is in the right spot.
The difference between the 5-Letter Game easy version and advanced version
In the easy version, I always will tell you where letters that are contained in my word belong.
In the advanced version, if your word contains letters that are in my word, I will tell you that they are indeed in my word, but I will only show you where the letters go that are in the same spot as my word.
Do you follow me?
You and Jill are still trying to guess my word, but you got some hints.
Now, it’s Jill’s turn.
I draw 5 boxes under “whales” like this:
Jill says a five letter word.
She says “moles“.
So now, after Jill says “moles”, I write the letters in the boxes underneath “whale”, and it looks like this:
Now I give hints like this:
Now it is your turn again. You think you know my word! You say “house!”
Now I draw the next row on my paper (or on the classroom board) and write “house” like this:
And you are correct! You guessed my fiver-letter word correctly, it was “house!”
2 Ways to Play
- You can keep score. In this case, you get one point for guessing my word correctly.
- In this version, we take turns picking the five-letter word, so next you would choose the word instead of me, and after you, Jill is the word chooser.
- You can play “winner goes next”: since you guessed the word, it’s your turn to choose a five-letter word and me and Jill have to guess it. Whoever guesses your word then becomes the chooser.
- Points are optional, if you just want to have fun, just play!
Teachers can play, too
Your teacher can play with you. She can choose the word every time, or play with you and your class. You can write on a classroom board or on a piece of paper.
Just email your teacher this post, or show them on the computer.
5-Letter Game: Recap
Wow, I know this is a long post, thanks for sticking with me! Here is a summary of how to play the five-letter game:
- One player chooses a five letter English word. He is the chooser.
- He draws five boxes on a piece of paper or on the classroom board.
- Other players try to guess his five letter word, by saying any five letter English word.
- Each round, the chooser gives hints.
- Easy version: He tells you where the letters are.
- Advanced version: He tells you where the letters are only if you guess them in the correct spot.
- The person who guesses the correct word gets one point and a new round starts. A new person becomes the chooser.
- Your teacher can also play! (The teacher sometimes is the permanent chooser.)
If you have any other questions, you can look at all the pictures in this blog post!
Feel free to share with your friends and have fun!
If you are still confused, type your question in the comments box and I will answer it for you.
Have you ever played the five letter game before?