“Teacher, class isn’t very funny on test day.”
I sometimes heard this when I taught English in Korea. I was teaching English, not a comedy class 😉
Korean students often confused fun and funny.
While both words sound good, they have different meanings.
English class wasn’t supposed to be funny! Most times, though, I liked to make English class fun.
But what’s the difference between “fun” and “funny”?
Today’s post will explain that. It’s very simple.
Goal of this post
- Today’s lesson is very simple content, but important.
- You will confidently know the difference in meaning between fun and funny.
- Knowing the differences in fun and funny will build your English confidence and eliminate sounding awkward to a native speaker.
Fun Vs. Funny
Fun: Think “Enjoyment”
When you really enjoy or like something, that is when you use “fun.”
Playing Starcraft is fun.
Baseball is fun.
It is fun to ride the roller coaster.
Taking a test is not fun.
Funny: Think “Laughing” (haha)
When explaining a situation that makes you laugh, that is when you use “funny.”
Watching comedy movies is funny.
The girl in my class who makes jokes is funny.
It was funny when I accidentally tripped.
The mean joke was not funny.
One last usage of funny depends on the context, or situation.
If you feel funny, or something feels funny, then that means you (or something) doesn’t feel right.
- It feels funny to me that the marriage counselor is divorced.
- I feel funny, can I go upstairs to take a nap?
Note: You don’t always need to use the word “feel” in front of “funny”.
- This pizza tastes funny. Do you think something is wrong with it?
- John: I forgot sunscreen.
- Mary: That’s funny, you told me you put it in the bag.
See how the meaning of funny here is “odd, strange, awkward, painful, unexpcted, sick, etc?.
Today’s post is very easy, but “fun” and “funny” are easily confused. It is important to use them properly or you may convey the wrong meaning.
Good job! Now you know the difference between fun and funny.
Fill in the blank with the correct word (fun or funny)
- The trip was really .
- The comedian was .
- Hiking mountains is but difficult.
- John is really ; he always wants to play.
- I laughed at the joke.
- I feel ; maybe it’s from the salad I ate earlier today.
- fun 2.funny 3. fun 4. fun 5. funny 6. funny
Fun and Funny: Questions?
If you have any questions, please leave them in the comment space below, or you can always email me.
Also, feel free to share this post on Facebook or Twitter!
Fun and Funny: YouTube Video
If the video doesn’t load, click here.