Did you know that most of the major cities in America have nicknames? You may have heard of New York’s nickname, “The Big Apple”, but do you know which U.S. city is nicknamed “The Motor City?” Read on to find out!
Goal of this post
- To learn the nicknames of 26 big cities in the United States
- Note: Some cities have more than one nickname!
26 USA City Nicknames
- New York City: The Big Apple; The City that Never Sleeps
- Los Angeles: The City of Angels
- Chicago: The Windy City
- Houston: Space City
- Philadelphia: The City of Brotherly Love, The City That Loves You Back
- Phoenix: Arizona’s Urban Heart
- San Antonio: Alamo City
- San Diego: America’s Finest City
- Detroit: The Motor City, Motown, Hockeytown
- Las Vegas: Sin City, The Entertainment Captial of the World
- Baltimore: Charm City
- Boston: Beantown, The Cradle of Liberty, The City on a Hill
- St. Louis: The Gateway to the West
- Miami: Magic City; Little Cuba
- Pittsburgh: The Steel City, The ‘Burgh
- Cleveland: The Forest City
- San Francisco: The Golden Gate City
- Denver: The Mile High City
- Washington, DC: The Nation’s Capital
- Atlanta: Hotlanta
- New Orleans: The Big Easy
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul: The Twin Cities
- Oakland: Oaktown
- Seattle: The Emerald City
- Milwaukee: Brew City/ Brew Town
- Dallas: Big D
These are some lesser-known small towns in America with cool nicknames. Since they are small, I also added the state after the comma.
- Hershey, Pennsylvania: Chocolate Town, USA
- Reno, Nevada: The Biggest Little City in the World
- Walla Walla, Washington: The City was so Nice, They Named it Twice
- Green Bay, WI: Packertown
This list is a good to know if you are traveling to America, working with foreign colleagues in America, or just for fun! Bookmark the page and come refer to these city nicknames for the next time you travel to the USA.
Do you know of any other American city nicknames? Type them in the comment box below.